Charlie Simpson has shared a terrifying incident which saw his youngest son rushed to hospital during a family holiday.
The Busted star shared a photo of his son Jago, four, in A&E as he described how his son had suffered with secondary drowning.
The rare condition predominantly affects children because their bodies are small, and occurs when the child inhales water while swimming. Water gets into the lungs and then starts to build up over time, eventually making it impossible to breathe.
Rare condition: Charlie Simpson has shared a terrifying incident which saw his youngest son rushed to hospital with secondary drowning during a family holiday
The rare occurrence can be fatal and symptoms occur within one to 24 hours after being in the water.
Charlie described his family’s experience in a bid to raise awareness of the condition, writing on Instagram:
‘I wanted to share a terrifying experience we had recently with my youngest son Jago, in the hope that if it helps just one person avoid a similar situation, it will be worth it.’
Describing what happened, Charlie continued: ‘We were on holiday enjoying a morning in the pool. Jago is a strong swimmer for his age and he was swimming under water but suddenly came up spluttering and coughing.
Scary: Charlie described his family’s experience in a bid to raise awareness of the condition, which occurs when the child inhales water while swimming. Water gets into the lungs and then starts to build up over time
Family holiday: Charlie and his wife Anna share two sons, Jago and his older brother Arlo, who was born in 2015
‘At no point was he left unattended, It was momentary, nothing seemingly unusual for kids to experience. We got him out and he seemed fine and happy and was completely normal for the rest of the day.
Jago’s symptoms didn’t begin until hours later, with Charlie describing how he ‘became very lethargic and went to sleep in my wife’s arms,’ during dinner.
‘After dinner he suddenly woke up and started projectile vomiting.
‘We called a doctor immediately who initially diagnosed it as as food poisoning and advised that we put Jago to bed in our hotel room and keep an eye on him.
A&E: Describing what happened, Charlie continued: ‘Jago was swimming under water but suddenly came up spluttering and coughing’ Hours later he started projectile vomiting
Luckily, Charlie remembered reading about secondary drowning and had the instinct to tell the doctor about the pool incident that morning.
‘Before the doctor left, I suddenly remembered Jago coughing in the pool that morning and I remembered reading about a condition called secondary drowning, so I relayed it to the doctor.
‘After hearing this, his demeanour changed and he told us to go to A&E straight away,’ the musician recalled.
Dad: Luckily, Charlie remembered reading about secondary drowning and had the instinct to tell the doctor about the pool incident that morning (pictured with wife Anna)
WHAT IS DRY DROWNING AND SECONDARY DROWNING?
Dry drowning and secondary drowning are rare medical conditions resulting from the inhalation of water.
Children are usually the victims, since their bodies are small, but they can also happen to adults.
Dry drowning happens when water is breathed in, causing the vocal chords to spasm and tighten and eventually close the airway
Secondary drowning is when water gets into the lungs and then starts to build up, restricting breathing.
Dry drowning symptoms usually happen immediately, while it takes one to 24 hours for the symptoms of secondary drowning to appear.
Both have the same symptoms of coughing, chest pain, trouble breathing and fatigue.
‘During the hour long journey to hospital, Jago’s condition deteriorated and he seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness.
‘He was rushed through to have CT scans and X-Rays and to our absolute horror, we were told that he had water in his lungs and was minutes away from pneumonia.
‘Jago was diagnosed with secondary drowning. He spent the next three days in hospital and I’m so thankful for the amazing care he received. It was the worst thing we have ever experienced.
‘The scariest thing of all, is that had we not taken him to hospital when we did, the outcome could have been very different.
Charlie ended his post by describing the symptoms to look out for, writing: ‘After doing a lot of research, secondary drowning is seemingly quite rare but even so, not talked about. It takes less than half a glass of inhaled water to drown.’
‘Symptoms can start as long as 72 hours after the event which can make them hard to diagnose. These include vomiting, fever, laboured breathing and lethargy.
‘I truly hope no one ever has to experience this but I hope to be able to raise some awareness of this frightening condition in case they do. x’
Charlie and his wife Anna share two sons, Jago and his older brother Arlo, who was born in 2015.
Denial of responsibility! planetcirculate is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.