Copenhagen shooting: Mass shooting in shopping centre in Denmark


Several people are dead and more are wounded after a shocking mass shooting in a shopping centre in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Several people are dead after a gunman went on a rampage in a shopping centre in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Terrified shoppers ran for safety as a gunman wielding “a hunting rifle” opened fire at Field’s Shopping Mall early Monday morning (AEST).

Danish police said several people had been wounded, adding that they had arrested one person in his twenties.

“We now know that there are several dead,” Copenhagen police chief Soren Thomassen told a Sunday evening press conference.

Thomassen described the apprehended suspect, as a 22-year-old “ethnic Dane,” but said it was too early to establish a motive.

“We investigate it as an act, where we can’t exclude, that it’s terror,” the police chief said.

They had no indication that the man had acted together with others, and police were maintaining an increased presence both around the shopping centre and across Copenhagen, he added.

The attack occurred two days after this year’s Tour de France cycling competition started took off from Copenhagen, and the Tour organisers released a statement expressing their sympathy.

“The entire caravan of the Tour de France sends its sincerest condolences to the victims and their families,” it said.

Images from the scene showed parents carrying their children as they ran from the building and ambulance personnel carrying people away on stretchers.

Eyewitnesses quoted by Danish media said they had seen more than 100 people rush towards the shopping centre exit as the first shots were fired.

“We could see that many people suddenly ran towards the exit and then we heard a bang,” Thea Schmidt, who was in the shopping centre at time of the attack told broadcaster TV2. “Then we ran out of Field’s too.”

Emilie Jeppesen, 20, told Denmark’s Jyllands Posten: “You didn’t know what was happening. Suddenly there was just chaos everywhere.

“We were sitting and going to eat and suddenly we could see people running.

“Then we first thought ‘why do people run?’ But then we could hear shots.”

Her friend Astrid Kofoed Jørgensen, added: “Everyone in the restaurant was shown out into the kitchen, and then when we sat out there we could hear three or four shots.”

Another witness, Jacob Sahin Ekman, told the publication he thought he heard “about 15 shots”.

The 27-year-old said he was about to eat with a friend when the shooting began.

He added: “He went out to talk on the phone, and suddenly he sprinted into Dalle Valle and said, ‘Lie down, lie down. Someone is shooting.

“Then I went under the bar and lay down.

“It was all very unreal like a movie.”

‘We heard gunshots’

Police had urged people in the building to wait inside for their arrival, calling on others to keep away from the area.

Police also asked witnesses to get in touch with them and called on those who had been visiting the shopping centre to contact loved ones to reassure them.

“All of a sudden we heard gunshots, I heard 10 shots, and we ran as far as we could to take refuge in the toilet,” Isabella told public broadcaster DR. She said she had hidden in the shopping centre for two hours.

Other witnesses described the gunman as a man around 1.8 metres tall carrying a hunting rifle.

At around 7:30pm (1730 GMT), roads around the shopping centre were blocked, the subway was stopped and a helicopter was flying above, said an AFP correspondent at the scene.

Heavily armed police officer kept onlookers back prevented locals from returning to their homes.

At the nearby Royal Arena, a concert with British singer Harry Styles was scheduled in the evening.

Shortly after the shooting the organiser announced it would “proceed as planned,” but later announced its cancellation, following criticism.

“My team and I pray for everyone involved in the Copenhagen shopping mall shooting. I am shocked,” Styles said in a Snapchat post.

The shooting comes just over a week after a gunman opened fire near a gay bar in Oslo in neighbouring Norway, killing two people and wounding 21 others.

In February of 2015, two people were killed and five injured in Copenhagen in a series Islamist-motivated shootings.

– with AFP and The Sun



Source link

Denial of responsibility! planetcirculate is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.