COVID curbs ease across China after unrest


Some communities in Chinese cities where COVID-19 is still spreading are easing off on testing requirements and quarantine rules in a marked shift in virus policies after widespread protests across the country.

China is set to announce an easing of its COVID-19 quarantine rules in coming days and a reduction in mass testing, sources told Reuters, even as cases nationwide remain near record highs.

Some cities lifted some district lockdowns this week, as Vice Premier Sun Chunlan, who oversees COVID efforts, said the ability of the virus to cause disease was weakening.

The new message aligns with what health authorities around the world have said for more than a year but contrasts sharply with China’s consistent warnings throughout the pandemic over how deadly the disease was.

The policy shift comes after anger over the world’s toughest curbs fuelled protests unprecedented in mainland China since President Xi Jinping took power in 2012.

China’s COVID policies have taken a significant toll on its economy, choking everything from domestic consumption to factory output and global supply chains, causing severe stress for hundreds of millions of people.

While government authorities in cities that have lifted lockdowns did not mention the protests in their announcements, national health officials have said China will address the “urgent concerns” expressed by the public.

On the ground, however, some communities in Beijing and elsewhere have already allowed close contacts of people carrying the virus to quarantine at home, while some shopping malls in the capital reopened on Thursday.

One residential community in east Beijing on Friday sent a notice to say those who have “no social activities” no longer need to get tested regularly “to reduce the risk of crowding”.

“Long-term home-bound elderly, home-based workers and students, infants and young children who have no social activities in the city can be excluded from community nucleic acid screening if they do not need to go out,” a notice read.

Several testing booths in the area have stopped operating and the numbers of those getting tested have dropped 20-30 per cent, a testing staff member said.

Still, the park nearby remained closed and restaurants and cafes only sold takeaway.

Some areas in Guangzhou, where protesters had clashed with police, resumed dine-in services, and residents are no longer asked to present negative PCR tests to enter, state media reported.

In nearby Shenzhen, some people will be allowed to quarantine at home.

In Chonging, about 1000 kilometres to the west, a wide range of businesses from barber shops to gyms were allowed to resume this week.

All those cities have been reporting hundreds or even thousands of cases a day – high numbers by China’s standards.

At the same time, communities in areas designated as high risk by various cities remain under lockdown and many people are still required to undergo daily tests.

Some places in Shanghai this week tightened testing requirements to every 48 hours from 72.

The hope for many residents was that national health authorities would standardise implementation across the country all the way down to neighbourhood levels.

Entire communities were locked down earlier this year, sometimes for weeks, after just one positive case, causing people to lose income, go without access to basic necessities and struggle to cope mentally with the isolation.



Source link

Denial of responsibility! Planetcirculate is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.