Could Prince Harry’s explosive memoir Spare hurt the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s chances of being a power couple in California? Several royal experts think so.
It follows their snubbing from the guest list at a Los Angeles party on the weekend filled with Hollywood royalty.
The 38-year-old, who lives in the coastal city of Montecito with his wife Meghan Markle and their two children, dished out another tell-all, which hit bookshops on January 10.
It sold 1.43 million copies during its first day on sale in the UK, US, and Canada, making it the fastest-selling nonfiction book of all time, Guinness World Records shared.
But not so fast on the champagne popping, one royal expert warned. Kinsey Schofield, who is the host of theTo Di for Daily podcast, told Fox News Digital that those within the couple’s circle in Hollywood may be wary of what they reveal out of fear the pair will publicly speak out once more.
“I think Spare and the [recent] Netflix documentary will ultimately hurt Harry and Meghan’s relationships with the Hollywood elite,” said Ms Schofield.
“Did intensely private Beyoncé́ give Meg permission to read a text message that she sent the duchess verbatim to millions of Netflix subscribers?” she shared. “I highly doubt it.”
Did Courteney Cox expect to one day be called out for ‘magic mushroom chocolates’ in Spare? Does Gayle King enjoy being grilled by the internet when Harry tells (UK TV network) ITV there isn’t a royal racist after Gayle appeared on morning television claiming that her friends, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, had receipts? They are putting people in uncomfortable situations.”
“While having Tyler Perry and Oprah (Winfrey) in your corner is a huge help, I think most individuals don’t want to pick a side and would prefer to avoid the drama,” Ms Schofield added.
Sussex ‘not on the ropes’
Buckingham Palace officials have declined to comment on any of the allegations made in Harry’s book. A spokesman for the King didn’t immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment. A spokesman for Kensington Palace, which represents the Prince and Princess of Wales, told Fox News Digital it doesn’t have a comment. Allies of the royal family have pushed back on Harry’s claims, largely anonymously.
Royal author Christopher Andersen told Fox News Digital that despite the backlash Spare has received from defenders of the monarchy, there’s no denying its appeal. And he believes the offers to continue telling all will keep coming.
“Spare is unflinching in its depiction of William and Harry’s relationship — and depicts Queen Camilla as nothing less than ‘a villain’ who has left ‘bodies in the streets,’” he explained.
“At the same time, it’s interesting to see how the British tabloids have really gone on the attack. A lot of people may be sick of listening to Harry and Meghan whine, to be sure. But the notion that the Sussex’s are somehow on the ropes is complete nonsense.”
Following their exit, the couple sat down with Oprah Winfrey for an interview that was viewed by 50 million people globally. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke out again in a six-part Netflix documentary released last month.
“Regardless of what you think of them, they remain an enduring object of fascination in the US and the UK — their ratings and book sales are undeniable proof of that,” Mr Andersen continued.
“The Sussex’s remain quite popular on this side of the Atlantic. The lucrative offers will keep on coming, and so will the invitations. More than ever, Harry and Meghan sit atop America’s celebrity heap.”
Spare is the latest in a string of public pronouncements by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex since they quit royal life in 2020. At the time, they cited what they saw as the media’s racist treatment of the duchess and a lack of support from the palace.
To promote the book, Harry appeared on ITV, CBS’ 60 Minutes, Good Morning America and The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Sussexes snubbed at Hollywood party
Some had wondered if the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would make an appearance at the BAFTA Tea Party in Los Angeles. After all, they leave up the road.
But William, 40, has been president of BAFTA since 2010.
“We confirm that categorically their attendance was not discussed whatsoever,” a spokesman for BAFTA clarified to Fox News Digital.
“The BAFTA Tea Party in LA is for those involved in this year’s film awards season, so film awards contenders and nominees.”
Mr Andersen said if there’s any invite the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be concerned about, it’s the one for Charles’ coronation in May.
“We already know they will have no official ceremonial role to play,” he said.
“So even if they are grudgingly sent an invitation, Harry and Meghan may feel it’s simply not worth travelling to London simply to be shoved aside as they essentially were during Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral.
“Harry has spent his life in his brother’s shadow – he still carries deep emotional scars from being cast in the role of ‘the spare,’ and he wrote about that movingly in his book. Why would he subject himself and his family to more humiliation?”
Harry’s willingness to air out the Windsor’s’ dirty laundry on both sides of the Atlantic continues to spark sales.
Worry for A-listers
However, some royal experts are adamant that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will need to find new ways to stay relevant in California.
Royal commentator Hilary Fordwich reminded Fox News Digital that following the couple’s interview with Winfrey in 2021, Michelle Obama told Access Hollywood: “My hope is that, when I think about what they’re going through, I think about the importance of family and I just pray that there is forgiveness and there is clarity and love and resolve at some point in time. Because there’s nothing more important than family.”
“Americans, with an absence of royalty on their shores, are renowned for treasuring family,” Ms Fordwich explained.
“Britons value family too and certainly the recent outpouring for the late Queen Elizabeth II demonstrated the love for the royal family. In America, there was a time when family for recent immigrants was one of the few things they had. So family is especially treasured.”
So was digging up old skeletons for a reported $US20 million advance worth it? Ms Fordwich doesn’t believe so.
“Perhaps Michelle Obama’s sentiments regarding Harry and Meghan’s brutal break from the royal family speaks volumes for the sentiments of many Americans,” she shared.
“A-listers or not, another question is, would anyone want a family member disclosing intimate details publicly, such as in Spare, regarding their own family?”
This story appeared on Fox News and is published with permission.
Denial of responsibility! planetcirculate is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.